Having the proper apparel is just as important as selecting the right equipment for outdoor winter activities. When it comes time to choose a ski jacket various factors need to be considered. The key things you need to evaluate are: what you’ll be using it for; the climate you’ll be in; which features are most important to you and how much you want to spend.
The following list will help you find the best ski jacket for your needs.
Click on the jacket’s name for a closer look:
This premium jacket lives up to its name as Patagonia’s warmest and most protective insulated hard-shell jacket. It has a lot of features to keep you warm, looking good and functioning on the ski hill. You’ll fall in love with this loose fitting jacket available in three colors.
- Lightweight, durable two-layer nylon Gortex fabric with 800-fill-power goose down insulation for warmth.
- Helmet-compatible, two-way adjustable fixed hood with laminated visor for optimal visibility in bad conditions.
- Touch point system embedded cord locks in the hood and hem for quick adjustment of down-filled draft collar at the back of neck.
- Pit-zips quickly release heat, while adjustable, low-profile cuffs with pleated gusset secures over or under gloves.
- Removable, sleek low-profile powder skirt stays in place whether secured or not and rotates as the rider moves.
- Secured media pocket with cable routing capabilities, two handwarmer pockets and two internal pockets for goggles and gloves allows you to focus on your run instead of your accessories.
- Recco® avalanche reflector located at back of neck to help rescuers locate you, just in case.
Designed for Alaska level cold, this jacket boasts a Gore WINDSTOPPER® shell with water resistant 700-fill down and PrimaLoft® insulation for warmth on the slopes. It’s an excellent jacket to combat the windchill without adding bulk.
- Panels of PrimaLoft® fabric for wind and water resistance that’s also breathable.
- Recco® avalanche rescue reflector that sends out a signal to ski patrollers in case of an avalanche.
- Adjustable helmet-compatible attached hood.
- Internal mesh pocket for googles and water resistant wrist pocket with goggle cloth.
- Water resistant pit-zip vents for temperature control.
- Thumb loop cuffs, hook-and-loop adjustable cuff tabs and stretch powder skirt with clip integration help keep the jacket in place and the snow out.
Hit the slopes in flattering style with the Volcom Stone jacket. The Stone features a tighter fit in the sleeves and body with a slightly curved hem to accentuate womanly curves while providing unrestricted movement. You’ll be sure to make a statement while you make nonstop runs or hit the pike.
- V-science® fabric and taped critical seams for a durable outer shell and breathable lining.
- Two-way adjustable quick-cinch hood.
- Adjustable powder skirt with Zip Tech jacket-to-pant interface.
- Suede chin guard to prevent chafing.
- Wrist gaiters to keep your hands warm and the snow out.
- Mesh-lined pit-zips to help control your temperature.
- Two comfy handwarmer pockets, a zippered chest pocket for your snack money and an internal media pocket for your tunes.
Haute couture meets the mountains with this L.A.M.B. for Burton bomber jacket. Made in collaboration with Gwen Stefani, the jacket is a mash-up of vintage flair and modern glam, loaded with everyday mountain function.
- Removable fur-trimmed hood.
- DRYRIDE Mist-Defy® fabric that’s water and wind resistant.
- Mid-weight warmth with venting options.
- 650-goose-down fill insulation in sleeves and 3M™ Thinsulate™ insulation for the body.
This three-in-one jacket is the ultimate in versatility. Depending on your needs, you can either wear the water resistant outer shell, warm inner shell or wear both together for cold, wet climates. This is an excellent option for those on a budget because you’ll only need one jacket for all of your needs.
- Three technologies: Omni-Heat® thermal reflective insulated liner, Omni-Tech® waterproof, breathable shell and Omni-Shield® advanced repellant liner.
- Removable, adjustable hood for added warmth.
- Underarm pit-zips for temperature control.
- Drawcord, adjustable hem and snapback powder skirt.
- Wrist gaiters to keep hands warm and snow out.
- Waterproof, zip pockets for media, storage and goggles.
- Moisture wicking fabric.
It’s no surprise this cute bomber style jacket is one of The North Face’s top sellers. With quilted insulation for optimum warmth, water resistance and handy features for functionality, this will quickly become your favorite jacket.
- 550-down insulation for warmth and light weight compressibility.
- HyVent 2L® water resistant shell provides protection from rain and snow.
- Fixed, adjustable hood ensures a weather-blocking personalized fit, even over helmets.
- Hand warmer zip pockets are a convenient way to warm your hands when you’re waiting for the lift.
- Wrist pocket with goggle cloth for keeping your goggles free from smudges.
- Internal media-security pocket keeps your phone or media player safe.
- Internal goggle pocket helps you keep everything ready to go.
- Two-snap, snap-down powder skirt with elastic gripper keeps snow from going up your back and down your pants.
- Adjustable hem system lets you adjust to your height for optimum performance.
- Lifetime warranty gives you peace of mind.
Style meets function in this black and gold jacket designed for halfpipe ski champion Roz Groenewoud. The mix of shiny and matte fabric create a long silhouette in this stylish yet warm jacket. You’ll be sure to grab attention regardless of your skill level.
- Removable hood and taped critical seams for durable versatility.
- Brushed microfiber inner collar to prevent chafing.
- Powder skirt with snaps and gripper elastic to keep the snow out of your pants.
- Interior cuffs with thumbholes and adjustable exterior cuffs with gussets to keep your hands warm.
- Hand warmer pockets and zippered chest pocket to hold your money and chapstick.
- Zippered bicep pocket with goggle cloth.
- Draw cord adjustable hem.
- Zipper pulls that double as hair ties.
This insulated duel vest and jacket combination gives you ultimate style and functionality. You will be prepared for any type of weather and activity. Wear the vest on warmer days or around the lodge, the jacket alone for wet weather or both either zipped together or unzipped for warmth and flair.
- Water resistant fabric and ComforMax® insulation.
- Adjustable interior hem and powder skirt with stretch panel.
- Fleece-lined collar to guard against wind and chafing.
- Fleece interior stretch cuffs with thumbholes and adjustable outer barrel cuffs.
- Zip pockets for media, goggle cloth and valuables.
- Separate key holder and goggle pocket.
- Helmet-ready adjustable hood.
- Zippered tricot-lined handwarmer pockets.
If your style is less girlie and more tomboy, the Stella jacket is for you. This lumberjack style jacket will have you hanging with the big boys. Burton boasts “All brawn and no BS make this jacket the hardest worker on the hill”. The advanced construction allows you to ride in comfort, as it doesn’t require you to wear extra layers for warmth.
- Consolidated hoodie, shell and insulator in one.
- DRYRIDE Durashell™ fabric is water and weather proof.
- 3M™ Thinsulate™ insulation warms with targeted, move-minded efficiency.
- Pit-zip venting for temperature control.
- Taped critical seams for durability.
- Magic Stitch removable waist gaiter with jacket-to-pant interface keeps your jacket in place and the snow out.
- Bonded fleece hood with shoestring draw-cord adjustment.
This waterproof, breathable jacket will keep you protected from the elements on the slopes as well as looking sharp when you’re walking around the resort.
- Two-layer MemBrain® waterproof and breathable nylon shell that increases comfort by reducing a chill-effect from condensation.
- Thermal R™ insulation with moisture wicking ability.
- Removable hood with laminated brim protects you in poor conditions.
- Angel-Wing Movement™ fit accommodates layering so you can stay comfortable all day.
- Exterior water resistant pockets include handwarmer, chest and sleeve pockets.
- Interior pockets include sunglasses, media and goggle pockets.
- Polyester-lined collar and chin guard are moisture wicking and protect you from chafing.
- Pit-zips provide ventilation control, while the powder skirt keeps snow off your torso.
You’ll be a straight up Snow Betty in this jacket worn by professional halfpipe snowboarder Gretchen Bleiler. The asymmetrical style combined with the waterproof shell fuses fashion with functionality. If the temperature takes a nosedive, the loose fit allows you to layer for added warmth.
- Hydrogauge™ 10 laminate and Thinsulate™ fill offer breathability and protection from the elements.
- MP3 button hole and multiple pockets keep essentials and media player dry and secure.
- Snap powder skirt creates an integrated fit with matching Madison pants.
- Underarm vents provide comfort on the go.
- OOR™ droptail for comfort and customization.
Choosing the right jacket to fit your activity and climate is important, but so is style. With all the other gear you’ll be wearing, you’re unrecognizable. People around the resort will get to know you by the jacket you wear. Be sure to purchase one that properly represents your personal style.